Sustainable Agriculture Internship (Off Campus)
Position Start Date: May 27, 2014
Position End Date: August 29, 2014
Application Due Date: March 3, 2014 (Applications reviewed as received)
Number of Positions: 1
Work Expectations: 40 hrs/wk
Pay Rate: $7.25 per hour
We are seeking an enthusiastic Luther student with a strong interest in farming and food systems to serve as an intern with Patchwork Green Farm and River Root Farm this Summer. The intern will have the opportunity to work alongside and learn from farmers on two active commercial farms in Northeast Iowa to experience the full transformation that food takes as it moves from seed to market. This internship is designed for a student craving more knowledge and experience with food production and the local food system. Applicants should not be afraid to roll up their sleeves, throw on some boots and get their hands dirty.
- Serving as the intern on two different farms (Patchwork Green Farm and River Root Farm)
- Schedule will alternate between farms, with the intern on each farm for one week at a time.
- Helping farmers set-up the stand at the Farmer’s Market
- Preparing product for market
- Assisting with communications and marketing for the Winneshiek County Farmer's Market
- Ongoing farm responsibilities will involve:
- Greenhouse work
- Planting transplants
- Other projects as assigned
- Strong interest in farming and food systems
- Willing and enthusiastic learner
- Enrollment at Luther College
- Personal transportation to local farms
- Physically able to perform duties required
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds
- Team-minded orientation
- Positive attitude
- Ability to work in extreme heat
To Apply You Must:
1) Submit HR's Student Summer Employment Application to the Office of Human Resources, Main 25, by March 3, 2014.
2) Complete the online common application on the Luther College sustainability web site. Don't forget to scroll down to complete the position-specific questions.
Direct all inquiries to:
Sustainable Foods Educator