Please contact us at email@example.com, or 563-387-1253, if you are interested in having Luther's sustainability staff or faculty come to your organization to talk about sustainability. We are happy to talk about what sustainability is and why it is important, initiatives Luther is working on, ways to incorporate sustainability into your organization, or other topics related to sustainability. Below are some examples of outreach we have done in the past.
Last summer many changes were made in the Decorah area with their churches' role in sustainable
practices. Through the Greening Churches Internship, Evan Neubauer and Chrisann Zuerner will be
continuing the work of Kristi Holmberg and Callie Mabry by reducing churches' carbon footprints
Check out how the summer interns from 2012 collaborated with churches with their
Greening Churches Guide, which is organized by chapter at the bottom of this page:
- In its second consecutive year, the Interchurch Garden will unite volunteers from First Lutheran Church and Good Shepherd Lutheran Church through growing fresh produce for the local food pantry.
- Want to get involved? Email Evan Neubauer or Chrisann Zuerner for more information
Carbon Footprint workshop for high schools students
- What is a carbon footprint? Why is it important to reduce your carbon footprint? What can you do to reduce your carbon footprint?
Sustainability Initiatives at Luther
- What is sustainability and how is Luther becoming more sustainable? This is a general overview of all the different initiatives happening at Luther College
- An overview of the process to install Luther's wind turbine.
- Luther's institutional carbon footprint reduction goals - Where were we? Where to we want to be? How are we getting there?
Sustainability and the Third World
- How does your lifestyle affect people living in Third World countries? What can we learn from the lifestyles of those considered the poorest of poor? This presentation will use stories and photographs from a Returned Peace Corps Volunteer's experience in Mali, West Africa
In addition, we love to have guests at Luther and would be happy to coordinate visits by outside groups. See first hand what we are doing and discuss how you could do the same.
- Greening Churches Guide Introduction (1822 KB PDF Document)Greening Churches Guide introduction and foreword
- Greening Churches Guide Chapter 1: Stewardship (5391 KB PDF Document)Chapter 1: Stewardship
- Greening Churches Guide Chapter 3: Worship (3652 KB PDF Document)Chapter 3: Worship
- Greening Churches Guide Additional Resources (6193 KB PDF Document)Additional Resources
- Greening Churches Guide Chapter 2: Education lessons 1-3 (4514 KB PDF Document)Chapter 2: Education lessons 1-3
- Greening Churches Guide Chapter 2: Education lesson 4-end of chapter (8061 KB PDF Document)Chapter 2: Education lesson 4-end of chapter