18. Create a Center for Sustainable Communities to be a catalyst for change locally and regionally.
- Develop a sustainable food systems program and play a leadership role in the Northeast Iowa Food and Fitness initiative.
- Work with community partners to launch a community energy initiative focusing on conservation and renewable energy.
- Create programs that foster sustainable business practices and entrepreneurship.
- Enhance environmental education outreach efforts and work with community partners to create a place for environmental programs along the Upper Iowa River.
- Strengthen partnerships with congregations and faith communities in sustainability education and draw upon the resources of diverse faith traditions regarding the stewardship of creation.
19. Make sustainability a part of every student’s learning experience.
- Invite Luther faculty and staff to integrate attention to place and to sustainable community into our curriculum, the residential experience of our students, work-study, and campus operations. Sponsor workshops to help achieve this goal.
- Enhance the Environmental Studies program by endowing a chair for Environmental Studies as part of the Center for Sustainable Communities.
20. Nurture connection to place in all stakeholders.
- Develop an outdoor recreation program that provides immersion experiences to incoming students and offers year-round programming to connect the campus with Luther’s natural environment and to wellness initiatives that are already well established.
- Tell our story about our unique location and campus sustainability efforts prominently on the Luther website and in other communications pieces.
- Fund a scholarship program to attract and retain high school students with an interest in sustainability and environmental stewardship.