Caring For Place
23. Design and implement a campus land-use plan that affirms land stewardship, sustainability, and landscape designer Jens Jensen’s original vision for the Luther campus in 1911.
- Improve campus signage and wayfinding with directional signs and directories.
- Create a central campus “clearing,” improve circulation with a two-way loop road around campus perimeter, and increase handicap and visitor parking in the campus core.
- Add council rings and other outdoor gathering places, an enhanced trail system, and a river landing to promote outdoor learning and connection with the environment.
- Update management plans for campus natural areas and prioritize ecological restoration projects.
24. Continue sustainable and strategic enhancements of the plant and facilities with a focus on student learning, energy payback, campus needs, and economic return.
- Budget annually for deferred maintenance.
- Secure sufficient debt financing to support the completion of Valders Hall of Science and Miller-Dieseth residence hall renovations following sustainable building standards.
- Complete the Baker Village complex by adding 100 beds and incorporating environmentally responsible features.
- Pursue a joint venture plan with the City of Decorah and the local school district to create an indoor aquatic center on Luther College property that will serve the needs of all collaborating parties and follow sustainable building standards.
- Develop a plan and timeline for resurfacing the outdoor track, Regents Center surface, and the field house floor.