Gluten Free Puppy Chow (Muddy Buddies)
Serving size: ½ cup
Total servings: 18
9 cups Rice Chex®
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
½ cup peanut butter
¼ cup butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1½ cups powdered sugar
1. Pour cereal into a large mixing bowl
2. Microwave chocolate chips, peanut butter, and butter in a microwavable bowl on High for 1 minute. Stir, then microwave again for 30 seconds or until the mixture is smooth. Stir in vanilla and pour over cereal. Stir until it is evenly coated.
3. Put powdered sugar into a 2-gallon plastic bag or large tub. Pour in cereal, seal, and shake until covered. Spread on a sheet of waxed paper to cool. Refrigerate.
Gluten Free Mexican Chocolate Brownies
Serving size: One 2-inch square
Total servings: 16
3 cups Cinnamon Chex® cereal
3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
¼ teaspoon baking soda
¼ cup melted butter or margarine
1 box Betty Crocker® Gluten Free brownie mix
¼ cup melted butter or margarine (second part)
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Spray bottom only of 8-inch square pan with cooking spray. Place cereal in food-storage plastic bag; seal bag and crush with rolling pin to make about 1 1/2 cups.
2. In medium bowl, mix cereal, brown sugar and baking soda; stir in 1/4 cup melted butter until well mixed. Reserve 1/3 cup cereal mixture for topping. Press remaining cereal mixture evenly in bottom of pan. Bake 5 minutes. Cool 5 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, in medium bowl, stir brownie mix, 1/4 cup melted butter and the eggs until well blended. Drop batter by small spoonfuls over baked layer. Carefully spread over baked layer; sprinkle with reserved 1/3 cup cereal mixture.
4. Bake 30 to 34 minutes or until brownies look dry and set. (Brownies will be soft; do not use toothpick test). Cool completely, about 1 1/2 hours. For brownies, cut into 4 rows by 4 rows. Store tightly covered.
For more great GF recipes like these using Chex® cereal: http://www.chex.com/Recipes/GlutenFree.aspx
Gluten Free 7 Layer Bars (Magic Bars)
Serving size: 2-inch squares
Total servings: 24
2 cups crushed Rice Chex cereal
¼ cup butter
1 can (14 oz.) Sweetened Condensed Milk
1 cup chocolate chips
1 cup butterscotch chips
1 cup flaked coconut (make sure it does not have flour to keep it separated!)
1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Place butter in 13x9 inch pan and put in the oven until butter melts.
2. Sprinkle crushed Rice Chex evenly over melted butter in the pan.
3. Layer chocolate and butterscotch chips, then walnuts, then coconut over Chex.
4. Use a can opener to punch 2 holes on opposite sides of top of sweetened condensed milk can and then pour evenly over the pan in a criss-cross pattern.
5. Bake for 25 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool and cut into bars.
Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies
Serving size: 1 cookie
Total servings: 36
2¼ cups Gluten-Free flour* (Bob’s Red Mill has a good mix)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon xanthan gum*
¾ cup softened butter
¾ cup firmly packed brown sugar|
½ cup sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla* (check to make sure it is GF-many brands label this specifically)
2 cups chocolate chips
*These ingredients should be available at most health food stores.
1. Heat oven to 375°F. Combine flour blend, baking powder, baking soda, salt and xanthan gum in medium bowl. Set aside.
2. Combine butter, brown sugar and sugar in large bowl. Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until creamy. Add eggs and vanilla. Continue beating, scraping bowl often, until well mixed.
3. Reduce speed to low. Beat, gradually adding flour mixture, until well mixed. Stir in chocolate chips.
4. Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls, 2 inches apart, onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake for 9 to 12 minutes or until light golden brown. (DO NOT OVERBAKE.) Let stand 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from cookie sheets.
This recipe is from the Land O’ Lakes website.
Gluten Free Protein Smoothie
Most smoothies are gluten free, but some use wheat or gluten-based protein supplements or ingredients. This is a good example of a healthy smoothie without gluten. Different fruits and flavors of yogurt can be used change the flavors.
Serving size: 1 glass
Total Servings: 2
Place the juice, yogurt, tofu, strawberries, and banana in a blender. Cover and blend until smooth. Add the ice cubes a few at a time until smooth.
Recipes developed by Luther College student, Laura Christensen.