Missing Student Policy and Procedures
Federal law requires colleges to establish a missing student notification policy and related procedures for students who reside in on-campus housing. The Luther College policy follows.
I. Policy Statement on Missing Students
- Each student has the option to identify an individual to be contacted by Luther officials or law enforcement personnel no later than 24 hours after the time a student is determined missing (see below).
- Each student may register and update the identity of this individual, known as the Missing Student Confidential Contact, in the “update my profile” screen of my.luther.
- In the case of students who are under 18 years of age and not emancipated, Luther College is required by federal law to notify a custodial parent or guardian no later than 24 hours after the time a student is determined missing.
- Luther College officials will notify the appropriate law enforcement agency no later than 24 hours after the time a student is determined missing.
- If Luther Campus Safety and Security is notified of a potential missing student and makes a determination that the student has been missing for more than 24 hours and has not returned to campus, Luther will initiate the emergency contact procedures in accordance with the student’s designation. If Luther Campus Safety and Security has reason to believe the student is missing and endangered, the emergency contact process may be initiated prior to being missing for 24 hours.
II. Missing Student Confidential Contact
- Students may identify their contact by completing the “Missing Student Confidential Contact” section of the “Update My Profile” data entry screen of my.luther. The specific data entry statement follows:
- Missing Student Confidential Contact Information – You also have the option to designate an individual to be contacted in the event you are determined to be missing—by Luther officials or law enforcement personnel—for a period of more than 24 hours.
* Note: If you are under 18 years of age and not emancipated, federal law requires that a custodial parent or guardian be contacted.
III. Procedure If You Believe a Student Is Missing
- Immediately notify a Residence Life staff member, Student Life staff member, or Campus Safety and Security officer. A report will be filed with Campus Safety and Security and an investigation initiated.
- After investigating, Campus Safety and Security will make a determination as to whether or not the student is missing and has been missing for more than 24 hours.
- If the student is determined to be missing for more than 24 hours, Luther College officials will notify the Decorah Police Department and the student’s confidential contact (if the student has provided a confidential contact). If the missing student is under 18 years of age and not emancipated, Luther College officials will immediately notify a custodial parent or guardian.