Policies and Definitions
Students will be placed on academic warning when they have one of the following:
- A Luther GPA of less than 2.00 but above the minimum level for academic probation; or
- A Luther GPA of 2.00 or higher but have obtained a semester GPA of less than 2.00
The academic record of students who remain on academic warning for more than one semester will be reviewed for possible placement on academic probation.
When a student’s cumulative GPA falls below minimum GPA listed below.
Hours Minimum Cumulative GPA
Students on academic probation risk dismissal from Luther College. Full-time students on probation will be dismissed if:
- they remain on academic probation for three consecutive semesters
- they fail to adhere to the conditions of enrollment established by the committee on academic progress
- if they earn a term GPA of less than 2.00 (12 hours minimum fall or spring, 4 hours minimum January term), unless the term GPA raises the cumulative GPA above the minimum level for academic probation.
Under normal circumstances, only a student previously on academic probation will be considered for dismissal. The college reserves the right at any time to dismiss any student who was not previously on academic probation.
The time period of dismissal will be for at least one semester (fall or spring). Students requesting to return to Luther after the dismissal period must have approval from the committee on academic progress. Students may initiate the readmission process by contacting the Registrar’s Office, (563) 387-1167.