Student Staff Selection Process
General RA application information
- Applicants must be in good financial standing at Luther College. Specifically, your enrollment deposit for the 2013-2014 academic year must be paid in full by April 2, 2013.
- Applicants' cumulative GPA must be at least 2.50 to participate in the selection process. No exceptions will be made.
- Each candidate should plan to be on campus for the entire academic year, including the J-Term. RAs will need to return to campus next fall approximately one week prior to the arrival of new students.
- RA salaries for the 2013-2014 academic year are estimated to be $4750.00.
Application: Complete the RA application and return it to the Residence Life office or email it to email@example.com by 4:00 p.m. on Wednesday, February 20. All applications must be received by 4:00 p.m. that day in order to be considered; no exceptions will be made.
Reference forms: Three references are required: one from a current RA (or past if current is not available), one from a faculty or staff member, and an individual of your choice. Please inform references that the Residence Life office must receive forms by February 20.
RA information session: Applicants must attend one of the mandatory sessions listed below. This information session is an opportunity for candidates to learn more about becoming an RA and more fully about the RA experience. It includes a panel of current Assistant Hall Directors and Resident Assistants.
Sunday, February 10 7:30-8:30 p.m. Valders Hall of Science, Room 206
Tuesday, February 12 7:30-8:30 p.m. Valders Hall of Science, Room 206
Managing the RA Interview workshop: In order to better prepare individuals for the selection process, the Career Center will be sponsoring an interview workshop (attendance is optional) for applicants interested in managing the RA interview. The workshop will be held on Wednesday, February 20, 6:00-7:00 p.m., in Olin 106.
Sunday, February 24 7:00-10:00 p.m. Farwell 8th floor lounge at 6:45 p.m.
Wednesday, February 27 7:00-10:00 p.m. Farwell 8th floor lounge at 6:45 p.m.
Notification: Candidates will be notified (via their SPOs) of the final selection on Friday, March 22.
At a minimum level of performance, a Resident Assistant and an Assistant Hall Director are expect to follow these expectations.
Staff class: Required staff class will be held on April 3, April 10, and April 17, from 7:00-9:00 p.m.; location to be determined.
Spring retreat: The spring retreat will be held on a Saturday morning in late April. This is a requirement for new and returning staff.
- Hall managers/assistant hall directors must return to campus for training ten days prior to the beginning of the academic year.
- Resident assistants must return to campus for training one week prior to the beginning of the academic year.
- Staff should plan to be available for closing and re-opening of residence halls for Christmas and spring break each year.
- Staff are expected to be available to cover a duty schedule during one of the other four breaks: fall break, Thanksgiving, J-term, and Easter.