- Foster an environment conducive to community living. This includes helping floor members realize that sleeping and studying have the highest priority of allowed activities.
- Get to know each individual on the floor.
- Learn about the campus community so that there is an understanding of how decisions are made that affect residence hall living and a student's life on campus.
- Work with floor members to assess needs and interests and develop programs that can provide interaction for residents, leisure time activities, and new learning experiences.
- Inform students of floor, hall, campus, and community activities.
- Know and understand the referral resources of the campus that may be used by students to meet their academic and personal needs.
- Be available and willing to listen to student concerns and advise appropriately.
- Be on campus for check in and check out; complete necessary paperwork and reports for residence hall opening and closing.
- Be on duty in the residence hall as scheduled throughout the school year. This includes being scheduled during fall, Thanksgiving, and interim breaks, as well as while classes are in session.
- Conduct fire alarm evacuations.
- Report maintenance needs to the hall director and/or appropriate college maintenance personnel.
- Keep the hall director informed of events and issues on the floor.
- Attend all staff meetings and training sessions scheduled for staff. It is the staff member's responsibility to plan other commitments around scheduled staff events.
- Know the rules and regulations of the college. Be able to explain and understand the need for college policies and enforce them in a fair and consistent manner.
- Assist students in the living unit to develop guidelines for community living and to bring about student self-responsibility in the residence hall.
- Set an example by adhering to rules and regulations of the college as well as the State of Iowa.
- Help new students become familiar with the college—its personnel, regulations, history, and customs.
- Attend scheduled orientation events with new students.