Movement Fundamentals: Liberating Practices for the Dance Artist
The Movement Fundamentals training consists of practices built upon 6 principles:
- Alignment & Function
- Range & Efficiency
- Vocabulary & Intention
Movement Fundamentals Tenets of Practice:
1) Learn through sensory awareness, proprioception, and imagery.
2) Know the body as an intelligent source for direction and information.
3) Develop skills in observation, awareness, responsiveness, and expressiveness.
4) Employ all bodily systems to create balance and form.
5) Use vocabulary of anatomy, spatial intent, movement dynamics, and elements of design.
6) Charge dance artists to discover what they feel is important.
7) Facilitate dance artists in researching their own questions.
8) Understand that the MF principles can be practiced anywhere and at all times (self-reliance and economic access).
9) Train dance artists to be able to dance and create performance anywhere.
10) Embolden all body shapes, all ages, and all abilities with agency and refinement.
Movement Fundamentals—Liberating Practices for the Dance Artist, copyright Jane Hawley, 2001.