Many of our students belong to local and national mathematics societies, as well as participate in competitions at the state, national, and international level. Luther has a great history of success in these competitions; including teams that won back to back championships at the Iowa Collegiate Math Competition.
- The Luther Math Club is a campus organization for students interested in mathematics and provides opportunities for participation in recreational math exercises and social functions.
- Pi Mu Epsilon (ΠΜΕ or PME) is the U.S. honorary national mathematics society. The society is dedicated to the promotion of mathematics and recognition of students who successfully pursue mathematical understanding.
- The Mathematical Contest in Modeling (MCM) challenges teams of students from all over the world to clarify, analyze, and propose solutions to open-ended problems. Luther has had at least one team participate in the event since the year 1992.
- The Interdisciplinary Contest in Modeling (ICM) is an international contest for high school students and college undergraduates. ICM is an extension of the Mathematical Contest in Modeling (MCM). It is designed to develop and advance interdisciplinary problem-solving skills as well as competence in written communication.
- The Iowa Collegiate Math Competition is a competition for undergraduate students administered by the Iowa Section of the Mathematics Association of America each year.
- Summer Research, Internships, and Study Abroad opportunities are available as well.