Headline of the Week: LIS Strategy Workshop 5/24/13
What a great day today! The best match – balancing a gorgeous, stimulating, off site venue and LIS pragmatic affordability put us in Dahl Centennial Union Mott-Borlaug (Baker was booked). Despite the overly pragmatic venue I very much enjoyed our time together. Thanks to all the members of LIS for your investment of time and your personal energy. I want to thank the StrengthsFinder facilitation team of Corey, Kris, Lora, Dan and Keley. You guys work like pros. Finally a special thank you to Jennifer Rian and the LIS Council for designing the days.
Recap of the day:
- Opening Discussion – We bridged from our strategy days last year to today. We continue to observe a changing competitive environment and the dual needs for innovation and learning to leverage our team’s abilities to seize the opportunities that come with change. We will use our five guiding principles to evaluate investment ideas for projects or process improvements. Today focused on our people.
- StrengthsFinder – We can collaborate better with one another when we appreciate, are sensitized to, and seek to leverage and build upon the different natural strengths in a diverse group. Aligning work with strengths and leveraging complementary strengths within teams is an important approach when dealing with complex problems, associated projects and systems.
- Who’s Who Celebration in LIS? – We shared work highlights and achievements for (nearly) every member of the team. Working in teams we tried to match the item with a member of the team that had made the contribution. It was a fun way to recap some of the great moments from the last year. Sorry Rachel, my review process was flawed and you were missed. Here is one that I know was submitted for you: “LIS leadership in grant writing leading to additional funding and creative staffing, visibility and contribution for Luther both within LIS domains and for the college in general. This visibility leads to further collaboration opportunities and opportunities for references to prospective students and their families.” Consolation is that you were a member of the winning team.
- Preparation for June 10 – Work teams will be meeting to consider their accomplishments and objective candidates for next year. Both projects and process improvement items should be considered. Plans should approximately “fit” the team’s capacity. Teams will present their proposed plans at our next strategy day. Plan items should align with the guiding principles and identify additional skills or roles required for success for this year and into the future so we can consider how to develop them. An additional request is to identify things we can stop doing or do less of to create room to innovate and do new projects or process improvements to seize the opportunities that come with change.
Thanks again for an insightful day; enjoy the Memorial Day weekend.
LIS Blog Highlights from the Week
The following articles are sampled from those available on the LIS Blog:
- New Google+ Hangouts
- 30 GB now shared between Drive, Gmail, and Google+ Photos
- Phishing Email May 20th
- Postville Project presents at 2013 MAC Conference
- Katie Access Disruption Resolved
- Update: Network Access Control System Upgrade
- User Services Meeting – 5/23/13
Notes from LIS Council
LIS Council is the leadership team within LIS. LIS Council did not meet this week.
Upcoming LIS Training, Instruction, and Professional Development Opportunities
Click on the event below for specific information and for a link to register. More information on training and development events is available.
|Reciprocity in Study Abroad||Workshop||May 31 2013 – 12:00pm – 1:30pm||Dahl Centennial Union – Mott||Open|
|Science Pedagogy and Practice||Jun 1 2013 – 6:00pm – Jun 3 2013 – 3:00pm||TBA||Open|
|Enhancing Student Learning Through Information Literacy and Technology – Summer 2013 Faculty Workshop||Workshop||Jun 3 2013 – 9:00am – 12:00pm||Preus Library – Hovde Lounge||Closed|
|Enhancing Student Learning Through Information Literacy and Technology – Summer 2013 Faculty Workshop||Workshop||Jun 5 2013 – 9:00am – 12:00pm||Preus Library – Hovde Lounge||Closed|
|Enhancing Student Learning Through Information Literacy and Technology – Summer 2013 Faculty Workshop||Workshop||Jun 6 2013 – 9:00am – 12:00pm||Preus Library – Hovde Lounge||Closed|
|Teaching the Diverse Millenial Student Population (Day 1 of 2)||Jun 25 2013 – 10:00am – 12:00pm||Main 114||Open|
|Teaching the Diverse Millenial Student Population (Day 2 of 2)||Jun 26 2013 – 10:00am – 12:00pm||Main 114||Open|
|Constitutional Law (Day 1 of 2)||Workshop||Jul 9 2013 – 9:00am – 12:00pm||Dahl Centennial Union – Mott||Open|
|Constitutional Law (Day 2 of 2)||Workshop||Jul 10 2013 – 9:00am – 12:00pm||Dahl Centennial Union – Mott||Open|
|Next Generation Science Standards: Discussing implications for Luther science programs (Day 1 of 2)||Workshop||Jul 11 2013 – 9:00am – 4:00pm||Open|
|Next Generation Science Standards: Discussing implications for Luther science programs (Day 2 of 2)||Workshop||Jul 12 2013 – 9:00am – 12:00pm||Open|
|Luther Admissions: Building the first-year class||Workshop||Jul 17 2013 – 9:00am – 12:00pm||Open|
|Paideia 111 & 112: Reading the Works (Day 1 of 2)||Workshop||Aug 19 2013 – 9:00am – 4:00pm||Main 114||Open|
|Paideia 111 & 112: Reading the Works (Day 2 of 2)||Workshop||Aug 20 2013 – 9:00am – 4:00pm||Main 114||Open|
|So you want to do a survey: Doing online survey projects with Qualtrics||Workshop||Aug 21 2013 – 9:00am – 12:00pm||Open|
|Luther sudents and the ability to reason||Workshop||Aug 22 2013 – 9:00am – 4:00pm||Loyalty Board Room||Open|
|Paideia 111/112 New Instructor Workshop (Day 1 of 2)||Workshop||Aug 26 2013 – 9:00am – 12:00pm||Main 114||Open|
|Luther College as a Community of Faith and Learning (Day 1 of 2)||Faculty Development||Aug 26 2013 – 9:00am – 3:30pm||Loyalty Board Room||Open|
|Paideia 111/112 New Instructor Workshop (Day 2 of 2)||Workshop||Aug 27 2013 – 9:00am – 12:00pm||Main 114||Open|
|Luther College as a Community of Faith and Learning (Day 2 of 2)||Faculty Development||Aug 27 2013 – 9:00am – 3:30pm||Loyalty Board Room||Open|
|Updates for Academic Advisors||Faculty Development||Aug 28 2013 – 1:00pm – 3:00pm||Open|
Training and instruction is provided to the Luther Community through Faculty Development Sessions, Library Instruction Sessions, Product Demonstrations, Skills Training, Workshops, 1-on-1 Sessions, and Online Materials. To schedule a session, contact the LIS Technology Help Desk at x1000 or enter your request online at http://help.luther.edu.
This Week in LIS is published most Fridays by Paul Mattson, Executive Director of LIS at Luther College in Decorah, Iowa.