Notes from LIS Council - 6/4/14

  • New Items
    • Physical Files Storage
      • Lockable space for physical paper files including those scanned as part of the document imaging projects and files that are to be shredded in the future has become a problem. To remedy the situation, facilities will build a cage, on the temperature/humidity controlled side of the basement, in the area where shelving is currently being stored. We will use some of the shelving there in the new cage. Timing for the project is contingent on moving furniture that is also being stored in that area and assembling the shelves.
    • New HR Staff Member
      • Matt Bills, a personnel consultant, has joined the HR team to help with the HR team with their workload. He is a lawyer and a personnel consultant and he teaches business law in the Economics and Business department.
  • Returning Items
    • KATIE Support
      • We discussed how to continue to provide quality Katie service and support given growth in its use. Paul talked about forming a cross-functional team - a learning community of sorts - with participation from User Services, Software Development, and Library. More discussion is required to turn this idea into a plan. Paul will arrange a planning meeting.
    • Update on Water Discovered in Olin Room B7
      • Adam reported water was discovered on the networking equipment in the space. It has been cleaned up and has remained dry. He has entered a fixit request for an update on the state of the repair (leaking plumbing pipe). Paul asked if we need to install shedding over equipment.  Adam suggested a water sensor. Both would be useful to protect the equipment and discover the issue should it happen in the future.
    • Update on Tape Backup and Verification Process Project
      • Marcia shared that new Reason and KATIE backups have been done and Bob and Steve will check content of the files. Marcia will share weekly what will become the comprehensive list of backup and verification status for all our systems.
    • Update on Instructional Design Librarian
      • Andi shared  the job description was edited slightly based on input from the Dean’s office and posted to the ALA joblist. It will be posted to EDUCAUSE. Other listing possibilities are being considered. The search is underway.
    • LIS Strategy Day
      • Strategy Day will be June 25 in Mott and Borlaug rooms. Patty will coordinate lunch needs. The Council has modelled the day’s agenda and leadership assignments have been made. Functional teams (Library, Marketing/Events, Building Vision, NetSys, SoftDev, and User Services) will work together, ahead of the Day, to build prioritized (shorter than historically) lists of projects/objectives with consideration for topics that contribute to strategic differentiation and/or have significant cross team implications. Each groups will present their objectives and look for conversation from the group. Later we will have an exercise to get the voice of the broader LIS organization to the priorities to help focus our efforts for next year. After the Day the groups will meet again to see how they might refine their objectives based on the conversation and input. Those refined lists will become the objectives that we put into our annual report.
  • LIS Operational Agenda
    • Software Development
      • Marcia updated us on the planning and scheduling process that is underway to develop a “go-live” plan for the Colleague Migration to SQL. A “Core Team” meeting is planned for 6/10 to discuss the project. Key remaining functional dependencies are HR/Payroll reporting, security work within Business Objects environment and the NorseKey password change website. System testing rigor is paramount to cutover success.
      • Plans are being made purchase a scanner for Education to use within their document imaging project. Prior to the start of the fall it may be leveraged for other backfile scanning in the Alum/Dev office.
    • Archives
      • Sasha shared that reference requests have been up with many coming from staff and other researchers.
      • The team is investigating enhancing their tracking to track hours spent by researcher separately from hours spent by archivist supporting a researcher. Consider adding field to track.
      • The accessions backlog is growing, in the short run, due to other responsibilities at this time such as the upcoming Archives Leadership Institute meeting. The processing backlog is decreasing, however, as new students are being trained to work that volume down.

{ Return to LIS Blog for more posts. }

Add a comment

Please login to comment.