Why don't I hear any music?
Our regular broadcast hours are 8 p.m. to 1 a.m. Monday through Friday and 7 a.m. to 1 a.m. Saturday and Sunday. In addition to our regular programming, KWLC broadcasts many live Norse Sports and other events.
Do all of the streams broadcast the same audio?
Yes, they just encode it in different ways for different media players and bandwidth requirements.
When I try to listen to the KWLC stream, there are breaks and pauses in the music.
- If you are an off-campus user, try selecting a lower bit rate stream on the Listen page.
- Try selecting a different media player from the drop down.
- If none of the previous solutions work, reboot your computer and try the stream again.
How do I know which stream to select?
That depends on what media player(s) are installed on your computer. Here are some rules of thumb:
- If the RealPlayer is installed on your computer, you can listen to the RealAudio stream.
- Most media players (Windows Media Player, RealOne Player, iTunes, QuickTime, WinAmp, Zinf, XMMS, etc…) can play the MP3 stream.
- Most Windows PCs have Windows Media Player installed. Since 9 Series or greater is required to listen to the Windows Media stream, some Windows users may need to update their players. Previous versions of Windows Media Player can play the MP3 stream.
- Most Macintoshes have either iTunes or QuickTime installed and can play the MP3 stream.
- Linux systems often have something like XMMS installed and can play the MP3 stream.
- If you do not have a media player or none of the above links work, please install one of the suggested players:
- iTunes (Mac OS X or Win 2000/XP)
- QuickTime (Mac OS 8/9/X or Win 98/Me/2000/XP)
- RealOne Player (Linux, Mac OS 8/9/X, Unix, Win 95/98/Me/2000/XP, or Mobile Devices)
- WinAmp (Win 98se/Me/2000/XP/2003)
- Windows Media® Player (Mac OS X or Win 98se/Me/2000/XP)
- XMMS (Linux)
- Zinf (Linux or Win 95/98/Me/NT/2000/XP)
My media player opens when I click the link but I don't hear anything or I get an error.
- Remember our regular broadcast hours are 8 p.m. to 1 a.m. Monday through Friday and 7 a.m.-1 a.m. Saturday and Sunday. During other times, the stream will be silent.
- Make sure your speakers are turned on and your volume control is not muted.
- Check that you have the latest updated version of your media player.