Activities in Academic Societies
- Founder and Editor of the Journal of Buddhist Philosophy (2010-present).
- Member of the Editorial Board of Culture and Dialogue (2010-present).
- Member of the Editorial Board of Comparative and Continental Philosophy (2009-present).
- Program Director for the meetings of the S.A.C.P. in conjunction with the A.A.R. (2006-present).
- Co-Founder and Co-Chair of the International Society for Buddhist Philosophy (2002-present).
- Book Review Editor for Japanese Buddhism for H-Buddhism, H-Net (2002-present)
- Co-Chair of the Zen Seminar at the A.A.R. (2001-2006)
- Program Director for the meetings of the S.A.C.P. in conjunction with the A.P.A. Central Division (2000-2003)
Other Academic Activities
- peer reviewer of manuscripts for Blackwell Publishing, Rowan & Littlefield, Oxford Press, the University of Hawaii Press, the Columbia University Press, Brill Academic Publishers, Philosophy East and West, and Dao: A Journal of Comparative Philosophy
- external reviewer for tenure and promotion at Gustavus Adolphus College and St. Lawrence University
- external examiner at the Indian Institute for Technology Kanpur