Headline of the Week: Google (Norse) Docs Workshops Available
Google (Norse) Docs has been integrated with Katie for the past couple of years and, beginning Spring 2013 with the new version of Katie, will be even more integrated. Participants will be introduced to the key features of Norse Docs in preparation for the upcoming Katie changes.
If you currently use Katie and would like to know more about Norse Docs, plan to attend one of the following workshops. Space is limited so sign up at http://lis.luther.edu/learn.
- Wednesday, Nov 28, 11:00 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.
- Thursday, Nov 29, 1:00 p.m. -1:30 p.m.
- Tuesday, Dec 4, 8:15 a.m. – 8:45 a.m.
- Wednesday, Dec 5, 11:00 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.
- Thursday, Dec 6, 1:00 p.m. – 1:30 p.m.
- Thursday, Dec 6, 2:45 p.m. – 3:15 p.m.
Following the 30 minutes of hands-on workshop, LIS staff will remain in the room for an additional 30 minutes to allow participants time to work with their Norse Docs and ask questions.
The key topics that will be discussed include:
- Norse Docs has changed since January 1, 2009, when Luther went live on Google (Norse) Apps
- Norse Docs may be organized into folders (and subfolders)
- Navigation of Norse Docs is very similar to navigation within Norse Mail
- Files may be uploaded to Norse Docs/Drive and converted to Norse Docs (or not)
- Integration with Katie (Morsle)
On a related note: 2013SP ‘LIVE’ Katie Site Available [Luther only]
LIS Blog Highlights from the Week
The following articles are sampled from those available on the LIS Blog:
- Baker Village Farm House Network Outage: Fixed
- 2013SP ‘LIVE’ Katie Site Available [Luther only]
- Adobe Flash Player Updates Being Pushed
- Invitation to Summer Faculty Workshop Brown Bag
- Internet capacity restored
- Skype 6.0 Update Being Pushed
- Google (Norse) Docs Workshops Available
- Google Ups Its Google+ Hangout Limit from 10 to 15 at a Time [Luther only]
- EDUCAUSE 2012 sessions available online [Luther only]
- New Holiday Titles in Leisure Reading!
Notes from LIS Council
LIS Council is the leadership team within LIS. Among the topics discussed this past week were:
- LIS Operational Agenda
- Council members will be reporting on LIS operational views (metrics for processes and status of projects) regularly at LIS Council meetings. This week’s reports included the following:
- We discussed the Fine Arts Collection’s (http://collectiveaccess.luther.edu/search/) move to a new platform. There is interest by others in the community of getting that back online and searchable. Approximately 900 of approximately 1900 records have been processed into the new platform. Ryan continues to support the effort from the LIS perspective and Kate Elliot from the Fine Arts Collection perspective.
- The Anthropology department is working to re-platform their collection as well. Ryan working with Destiny Crider. She is discovering inconsistencies in the collection and the associated information and thinking about how to proceed to a quality outcome given her current understanding.
- Ryan reported that there is an outline on the the steps to move content from the LIS Drupal site to Reason. Rob Larson would like to work with Ryan on ideas for enhancing the navigation.
- Software Development
- The Veterans website was demonstrated on Nov. 10. Alumni/Development and LIS will talk about support.
- The New Katie workshops are complete. More will be planned for January.
- Paul, Ryan, Diane, Marcia, and Bob met this morning on course migration and testing plan. Marcia to schedule next meeting.
- New Katie leverages Google (Norse) Docs so Google Docs training has been scheduled and Andi has added notification to the upcoming (11/27) dept. heads meeting. The Google Docs training was announced at LISAAC (11/15) . Division meetings (11/20) provide an additional forum for communicating.
- The Core team for the SQL migration project meets this week. The intent is to engage their help in testing.
- The LIS team is moving forward with Business Objects SQL reporting solution leveraging consultant Rudy Rafshol and his security colleague. They plan to work together 11/28 to 11/30. Nathan Porath, our new hire and reporting specialist, will be joining those meetings.
- New Items
- Circulation Coverage
- This role has been factored out of the Program Support Coordinator position and will be picked up by the library Technical Services team. The focal point for this work team will be Rene.
- Oneota Film Festival
- A group of middle to high school students are involved in a film class. They are using Luther space (Main 112) for classroom and their instructor has been given access to borrowing cameras for their project. The instructor was previously a Luther student. They may use some of our Preus lab machines and software for editing.
- Circulation Coverage
- Returning Items
- CLIR Workshop
- Jennifer R. and Diane G. participated in “Part 2” of a Council on Library and Information Resources (CLIR) program on participatory design. Diane and Andi participated in “Part 1” of the program in the past. They are looking at applying the techniques to the study room/space shortage problem in the library.
- Audit/Intrusion Testing
- The contract has been signed and the target is to have the evaluation in January. Adam to coordinate a plan for our IT wide preparation for the evaluation.
- Digital Media Assessment
- Quantitative Assessments have been scheduled for departments on campus. There are approximately 20 groups to meet with. The timeframe for this data collection is November 20th into December.
- CLIR Workshop
Upcoming LIS Training, Instruction, and Professional Development Opportunities
Click on the event below for specific information and for a link to register. More information on training and development events is available.
|LIS Summer Faculty Workshop Brown Bag||Workshop||Nov 26 2012 – 12:15pm – 1:15pm||Dahl Centennial Union – Mott||Open|
|Google (Norse) Docs||Workshop||Nov 28 2012 – 11:00am – 11:30am||Olin 301 – Round Table Room||Open|
|Google (Norse) Docs||Workshop||Nov 29 2012 – 1:00pm – 1:30pm||Olin 301 – Round Table Room||Open|
|Remote Access Options||Product Demonstration||Dec 3 2012 – 12:15pm – 1:15pm||Dahl Centennial Union – Mott||Open|
|Google (Norse) Docs||Workshop||Dec 4 2012 – 8:15am – 8:45am||Olin 301 – Round Table Room||Open|
|Google (Norse) Docs for Nursing||Workshop||Dec 4 2012 – 12:30pm – 1:00pm||Olin 301 – Round Table Room||Closed|
|Google (Norse) Docs||Workshop||Dec 5 2012 – 11:00am – 11:30am||Olin 301 – Round Table Room||Open|
|ZOTERO Workshop||Workshop||Dec 5 2012 – 7:00pm – 8:00pm||Preus Library – Hovde Lounge||Open|
|Remote Access Options||Product Demonstration||Dec 6 2012 – 11:15am – 12:15pm||Dahl Centennial Union – Mott||Open|
|Google (Norse) Docs||Workshop||Dec 6 2012 – 1:00pm – 1:30pm||Main 114||Open|
|Google (Norse) Docs||Workshop||Dec 6 2012 – 2:45pm – 3:15pm||Main 114||Open|
Training and instruction is provided to the Luther Community through Faculty Development Sessions, Library Instruction Sessions, Product Demonstrations, Skills Training, Workshops, 1-on-1 Sessions, and Online Materials. To schedule a session, contact the LIS Technology Help Desk at x1000 or enter your request online at http://help.luther.edu.
This Week in LIS is published most Fridays by Paul Mattson, Executive Director of LIS at Luther College in Decorah, Iowa.
Content is made available under Creative Commons license.