Notes from ITS Council - 9/20/17

  • New Items
    • Discussion of Innovation Index.
      • At Eric’s FinAdmin staff meeting we discussed the results of some research that said more innovative institutions shared 6 characteristics. The six statements on the graphic are the attributes most commonly reported by those that work at the most innovative institutions. We discussed this in terms of what do we do well and what can we do systematically better.
    • Sage Server
      • We discussed the current instability problem and the work done to date to stabilize it. We further discussed options if the current configuration also does not support the class work. The issue is that the application hangs up and needs to be reset disrupting class productivity. Changes from the previous term were driven by need for patching. We will explore a SaaS solution possibility as the Plan B.
    • New Software for Development Office
      • Nate Ersig called. They are considering some new software. We talked through the nature of the solution, the information involved and the users involved. We discussed the likely level of integration needed for users and information. The next step is to get a briefing on the architecture and use cases as part of  the IT Acquisition process. Marcia will take the lead.
    • Tip of the Month
      • For  Sept 2017 the Tip of the Month for the Staff Meetings will be on registering non-Luther devices on the network.
    • Cellular Service Survey
      • We have been working with Facilities to help gather more information about cellular service. The survey will ask for ‘type of phone’, ‘service provider’ and issues experienced on campus. Facilities will send this to all Facilities, ITS, and Library student workers as a pilot to collect initial information and as a proxy for others on campus. Encourage the selected student workers to complete this form, as they are the only ones on campus who will be receiving it and the more information, the better.
    • Returning Items
      • LISAAC Draft Agenda
        • Paul shared updates with Council on his meeting to talk about conversation with Ryan on LISAAC. We talked about focusing on topics for which there will be conversation opposed to just update information. Additionally they worked up draft language to update the Faculty handbook sections re LISAAC and shared that draft with Kevin.
      • Digital Signage
        • Diane scheduled a meeting with Web Content, Admissions, and Publications to discuss changes folks are interested in making to the digital signage look and purpose as well as to talk about leadership appropriate with the change effort.
      • Carillon
        • Brooke Joyce is controlling schedule, music selection, and operation of the Carillon system installed on the workstation on 6th floor of Main.
      • Temporary Admin Rights Documentation
        • Pilot work underway to better improve the security posture of Luther workstations by establish user credentials for most work and separating out admin privileges for occasional work. Documentation has been prepared to describe use of a tool has been created that elevates privileges for users when they need admin rights.
  • ITS Operational Reports-  
    • Software Development
      • Marcia shared a number of updates. Nate Porath’s last day working at Luther was September 15th. The Software Development team appreciates his work at Luther and wishes him well in his new position as Sr. Business Objects Analyst at Children’s Hospital in Kansas City starting September 25th. Ellucian is targeting November 30th as their release date for Colleague UI 5.4 Ellucian is delivering Colleague Self Service 2.17 enhancements at end of September. ITS plans to install the update as soon as it’s available using the install checklist and testing they’ve been creating to streamline this process. Lane and Adam have been working with Brian and Travis to research the Luther website performance issues. Jane Miller and Marcia had a Content Finance Scan and Link project kick-off call with Kofax/Hyland this morning to review the project goals and objectives, scope, and discuss timeline.  We asked for Kofax/Hyland solution design work to begin as soon as possible.  Jane has documented and diagrammed current workflow for the initial processes that OFS plans to automate. We are grateful for Jane’s leadership and contribution. RyAnn and Kristin have experimented and tested the Colleague Student Planning functionality and outlined questions and enhancement requests for Ellucian consultants. Marcia has requested Ellucian consulting to work with ITS and the Registrar’s office to respond and address the questions. Jean worked with an Ellucian consultant to setup and test eCommerce updates for my.luther in the test environment. Jean is working with Jan Schnitzler and Ellucian to schedule the production installation in November. Marcia, Jean, RyAnn Winings, Kari Goodno, Jan Cordell, and Jan Schnitzler plan to attend the MECA Ellucian regional users group meeting on October 19-20th at Simpson College in Indianola. Jean is presenting a session on Colleague System Administration, Jan Cordell and Marcia are facilitating sessions. To support the new APC application Brad is setup with KBox and is responding to Technology Help Desk requests and Marcia & Brad are creating a workflow for communication and closing tickets. Brad does not have a student worker to assist him yet. Kristin & RyAnn have shared requests for enhancements for their reporting needs with Brad. Marcia, Chris, and Brad will need to discuss long-term authentication plan.  The current work around is to add staff that need access to APC to the FAC group in AD.