Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC) is a Mac OS X application that can be used for creating data backups or complete images of your computer. It has an simple and intuitive interface. This page gives basic information on how to install CCC as well as run your first backup to an External Hard Drive.
Complete information on CCC can be found on their website:
1. Download Carbon Copy Cleaner.
2. Double-Click the .dmg file.
3. Double-Click the Carbon Copy Cloner drive that appears on your desktop.
4. Click and Drag the icon on the left to the right side to install the program. Carbon Copy Cloner is now installed.
1. Connect your Backup Media to your Macintosh. An External Hard Drive or Flash Drive works best. CCC cannot burn to CD or DVD.
2. Click on Go – Applications – Carbon Copy Cloner.
3. Click Target Disk and chose your Backup Media. We do not recommend choosing New Disk Image as that will create a file that is more difficult to work with.
4. Click Source and choose Macintosh Hard Drive or the name of your Hard Drive.
5. Select which directories you wish to backup. We do not recommend choosing the entire hard drive unless you have a large enough storage media. Individual directories are a better option.
6. Click Clone to begin copying data. Depending on the amount of data, this could take several minutes to several hours. Once complete, check your backup media to make sure the files are present.