Announce.luther.edu runs an email distribution application known as DaDa Mail. DaDa Mail makes it easier for the Luther community to send email messages to large groups of students, faculty, staff or alumni. You can request an email list by contacting the LIS Technology Help Desk. One email list can be used for multiple mailings by adding and removing the subscribers you wish to mail. The list setup information can be changed for each mailing.
Note: Announce should be used for one way communication to a large number of people, or when you want to allow persons to subscribe or unsubscribe to your list. Other Mailing List options include the following:
Upon completion of this 1-on-1 training, you will be able to:
To request a mailing list, contact the LIS Technology Help Desk (email@example.com, 563-387-1000) with the following information. Your request will be processed and you will receive an email with further information within 3 business days.
Once you have received confirmation that your list has been created and your list password, go to the announce.luther.edu website and click on the Administration link at the bottom of the page.
1. Enter your List Short Name: and your List Password: provided to you by LIS. Do not share this password!! This application can easily be used to send spam. Click on Login. Note: You can change the password by clicking Change List Password after you login.
2. To confirm the list information and make any adjustments, click on Change List Information under the Manage List label in the left panel. Change the List Owner Address if you would like the message to come from a specific office on campus. Click on Save Changes at the bottom of the screen.
1. To setup an email template, click on Email Templates under the Manage Copy label. Scroll down to the section labeled Mailing List Message. Edit the text for From, To, Subject, and any text or html you want to include with the message body. Do not remove “[message_body]” from the plain text message. This tag inserts the message when you send the email. If you do not want to have any text added to every message, delete all of the text except the “[message body]” line.
2. Click on Save All Changes at the bottom of the screen.
1. To add and remove email addresses from your list, click on View under the Manage Subscribers label. You will see the list of all persons currently in your list.
2. You can use the check all or uncheck all and click on Unsubscribe Checked Emails to remove addresses from your list.
3. Click on Add under the Manage Subscribers label. Add yourself initially and send a sample message so you will see the message that your recipients will receive. See steps below to send a list message. Once the message is setup and ready to send add the email addresses to the list.
4. Open your spreadsheet of email addresses. Highlight the column of email addresses (click in first cell, then Shift+Cntl+End), click on Edit > Copy (or Cntl+C) to copy email addresses into your Windows clipboard.
5. Switch windows back to the Add screen in announce.luther.edu, place your cursor in the Paste Addresses Below box and paste from your clipboard, click on Edit > Paste (or Cntl+V). Click on Verify Subscribers to add addresses to your list. DO NOT Invite Checked Subscribers (unless you want people to have to accept an invitation in order to be signed up for the list).
6. Click on Subscribe Checked Subscribers
7. Click on OK to confirm that you want to add the list of email addresses.
1. In order to see how the message will display to others, first send a test message to yourself. Click on Send a List Message at the top of the left panel to send your message. Enter the text of your message in the PlainText Version and/or HTML Version boxes.
2. Confirm the Send Test Messages To: box contains your email address.
3. Click on Submit Test Message and click OK when the confirmation box displays.
1. Once you have added the subscribers and have tested your message, you are ready to send the message to those on your list. Click on Send a List Message at the top of the left panel to send your message. Enter the text of your message in the PlainText Version and/or HTML Version boxes.
2. Click on Submit Mailing List Message and click OK when the confirmation box displays.
Here is what a test email message looks like. Notice the text added to the message (“Ho Ho Ho”) appears at the top before the text in the email template.
1. Click on Remove under Manage Subscribers to remove the email addresses.
2. Open your spreadsheet of email addresses. Highlight the column of email addresses (click in first cell, then Shift+Cntl+End), click on Edit > Copy (or Cntl+C). to copy email addresses into your windows clipboard.
3. Switch windows back to the Remove screen in announce.luther.edu, place your cursor in the Paste Addresses Below box and paste from your clipboard, click on Edit > Paste (or Cntl+V).
4. Click on Submit Email List to remove addresses from your list. On the next screen, click on Unsubscribe Checked Emails.
5. Repeat process to add email lists, edit message, send, and remove email addresses for each group as needed.
1. Add Plain Text message to Mailing List Template. Be sure to include “[message_body]”.
2. Add html code from Publications. Insert “[message_body] into html”.
3. On the Manage Appearance > Edit Template, leave the Use the Default checked.
Once you are logged in to http://announce.luther.edu, click on the link in the lower right corner of the screen. For example, Send a List Message appears on the initial screen. Each screen within Pro Dada includes help specific to that particular topic. You can also go directly to the help located at https://announce.luther.edu/help.
Announce is based on an email list management system called Dada Mail, and technical support for the system can be found at http://dadamailproject.com/support/.