'The Vagina Monologues'
One of every three women in the world will be physically or sexually abused in her lifetime, according to information from the United Nations.
To raise money and awareness to stop violence against women and girls, 20 Luther students will present three benefit performances of Eve Ensler's "The Vagina Monologues" Feb. 16-17. The performances include heartwarming, funny, poignant and at times heartbreaking stories of women across the globe.
Performances are at 3 p.m. and 8 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 16 and 3 p.m. Sunday, Feb. 17 in the Center for Faith and Life Recital Hall on the Luther campus.
Tickets to the performances are $5 and are available at the Luther College Box Office, (563) 387-1357, open 9-10:30 a.m. and 11 a.m.-3 p.m. on Monday, Wednesday, Friday, 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Tuesday and Thursday with extended hours on Thursdays until 7 p.m. Tickets will also be sold at the door if available. Seating is on a first-come fist-served basis.
All proceeds from the benefit performances are donated to local and national organizations to help end violence against women and girls. Benefits from Luther's 2013 production will remain local with 90 percent of the proceeds going to Helping Services of Northeast Iowa; and go global with the remaining 10 percent going to V-Day's national spotlight campaign. This year's spotlight is: One Billion Rising. For V-Day's 15th anniversary, V-Day is inviting one billion women and those who love them to walk out, dance, rise up and demand an end to violence against women.
Luther will host a One Billion Rising event on campus on Thursday, Feb. 14. For more information on the day-long event, go to "One Billion Rising Luther College" on Facebook or email student coordinator Gracie Coletta at [email protected].
V-Day is a global activist movement to end violence against women and girls through benefit productions of playwright and founder Eve Ensler's award winning play: "The Vagina Monologues" and other artistic works.
In 2012, more than 5,800 V-Day benefit events took place produced by volunteer activists in the U.S. and around the world, educating millions of people about the reality of violence against women and girls.
To date, the V-Day movement has raised more than $90 million and educated millions about the issue of violence against women and the efforts to end it, crafted international educational, media and PSA campaigns, reopened shelters, and funded more than 13,000 community-based anti-violence programs and safe houses in Democratic Republic Of Congo, Haiti, Kenya, South Dakota, Egypt and Iraq.
In 2006, V-Day was named one of Marie Claire Magazine's Top Ten Charities, and in 2010, one of the top-rated organizations on GREATNonprofits.org.
Ensler was personally recognized when she received the 2011 Isabelle Steven Tony Award, which recognizes an individual from the theater community who has made a substantial contribution in volunteered time and effort on behalf of humanitarian, social service or charitable organizations.
By creating a global community, V-Day strives to empower women to find their collective voices and demand an end to the violence that affects one in three women around the globe.