For most of our students, having a job on campus is part of the Luther experience. Whether planting flowers with our groundskeepers or working in the cafeteria, we hope students find their position to be a valuable way to serve the Luther community, gain important work experience and earn money toward tuition and other expenses. Students will also garner valuable professional and personal skills for life after college through Luther's "Beyond the Bubble" program.
Students will be notified of their work eligibility on their financial aid award letter.
New Student Work Study Application
Each student at Luther College has included in their financial aid award the opportunity for engagement in a work-study position. Most first-year students are assigned work-study positions in dining services, facilities, or grounds. However, positions for first year students are available in a number of other areas including Communications, academics, Library and Information Systems, and others.
To assist in the process of matching students with positions, students are able to fill out a short form that provides information describing interests, experiences, and other information. Students are not required to complete this form to receive a work-study assignment.
Work-Study Award Notification
- The financial aid award letter contains details on a student's eligibility for employment.
- Students are typically allowed to work an average of 6 to 10 hours a week to give time for studies and involvement in other campus activities.
Securing a Position
- During the spring semester, continuing students are reminded by the Student Employment Office to find a position for the following fall semester.
- Incoming students will receive information regarding their work placements during summer registration.
- Students should start with the supervisor at their current job, supervisors in the department of the student’s major or in departments that might be able to provide work experience that is unique to a student’s special skill, such as lifeguarding or landscaping.
- Review On Campus position listings.
- Review Off Campus position listings (Federal Work-Study required).
- Stop by the Student Employment Office and we will be happy to assist in the search.
- Once a job has been secured, the supervisor will confirm a student’s employment with the Student Employment Office.
Community Service Positions
- Allows students to earn work-study funds by working in various non-profit entities in Decorah and the surrounding area.
- Positions include reading and math tutors in local elementary and middle schools, museum assistants at Vesterheim, and workers in the public library.
- These positions require Federal Work-Study eligibility.
- Students in these positions will need to have their own transportation to locations not within walking distance.
Completion of Employment Forms
- Federal I9 Form – required to prove eligibility to work in the United States and must be collected prior to performing work. Only pages 7 and 8 of Form I-9 need to be printed.
- Federal W4 Form – necessary to calculate withholding for federal taxes.
- Iowa W4 Form – necessary to calculate withholding for state taxes.
- Illinois W4 Form – necessary to calculate tax withholding for Illinois residents only.
- Non-residence Iowa Tax Form (PDF) – necessary for Illinois residents for tax reciprocity.
- Work Credit Plan Application – required if the student plans to have earnings applied towards institutional charges.
- Direct Deposit of Wages – required if participating in electronic deposit of wages into a student's bank account.
- The Federal I9 Form, Federal W4 Form, Iowa W4 Form, Illinois W4 Form and Non-residence Iowa Tax form cannot be copied or faxed once completed. We can only accept original documents.
- Either paper or electronic time cards are used to record time as it is worked.
- At the beginning of each month, the supervisor must submit signed time cards to the Student Employment Office for the previous month’s work.
- Payroll will be processed the second week of each month.
- View Pay Dates