Choose one of the following links to learn more about specifics topics relating to summer enrollment:
- Types of Aid Available
- Application Procedures
- Registration Information
- Additional Information
- Summer Enrollment at a College Other than Luther
Summer financial aid eligibility is limited to students who are admitted into a degree program at Luther College and are enrolling in summer credits at Luther College. Luther College students who are enrolling at other colleges over the summer will not be eligible for financial assistance through Luther College.
Summer financial aid is limited to unused Federal Pell Grant and/or Stafford Loan from the previous academic year and/or parent PLUS loans or selected private educational loan options. The Financial Aid Office will always review a student's eligibility for the more favorable federal aid options prior to recommending a private educational loan for summer expenses.
In many cases, private educational loans will be the only option available to assist with summer expenses. If such loans have been used previously, and another will be needed for summer, we would recommend that a student continue to use the same program.
However, many programs require that a student register for at least six credits to be eligible to receive assistance through their program. If a student expects to register for fewer than six credits, options for financing the summer expenses will be limited. In most cases, these programs will require a creditworthy co-signer.
- Schedule an appointment with a financial aid counselor to discuss aid options and receive the appropriate applications in early April.
- Complete and submit the application materials discussed with the counselor during an appointment.
- Register for summer courses.
Go to the Registrar's Office website (http://www.luther.edu/academics/registrar/index.html) to read the summer session information and course offering section. Carefully follow the instructions for summer registration outlined on this site.
- Pay a $50 summer enrollment deposit. This cannot be paid through anticipated summer aid.
- Select the courses. It is important that a student choose and list alternate courses when they register. Some courses may ultimately not be offered due to insufficient number registered.
- Complete and submit the Application for Undergraduate Courses. Students do not register on-line for summer classes.
When applying for a private educational loan to finance Luther College summer expenses, please keep in contact with the Financial Aid Office to be sure the loan is approved. Any contacts from the lender will be sent either by mail or email at the permanent address/email listed on the loan application. If this address is not where the student will live in the summer, please be sure someone is forwarding mail to the student.
Due to new federal banking regulations, we would encourage students to begin the application process for a private loan a minimum of three weeks before classes begin.
Changes in expected enrollment can also change summer aid eligibility. Contact the Financial Aid Office immediately if enrollment plans change.
Students are not eligible to receive financial aid through Luther College for summer enrollment at another institution. If a student plans to enroll in summer courses at an institution other than Luther and they are concerned about financing summer costs, they need to schedule an appointment with a Luther College financial aid counselor prior to April 15.