In addition to a large number of all-college events in which English majors participate, there are many activities growing specifically out of the English major.
- The student newspaper, Chips, is typically advised by an English faculty member and includes a large number of English majors and minors.
- The Oneota Review is an annual literary review published by students and advised by an English faculty member.
- The Luther College chapter of the international English honor society Sigma Tau Delta hosts a wide range of academic and social events.
- The English Department Newsletter "My Word Fly Up ... Things English," written and edited by English majors, highlights department activities.
- Hosting of visiting writers. Click here to see photos of visiting writers and read about our Creative Writing courses.
- Performances, such as local ArtHaus poetry slams, student open-mic nights, a recent complete Paradise Lost, an annual Shakespeare production by the students of the course "Shakespeare Performed."
- Faculty and student organized out-of-town trips to readings, theatre performances, and lectures.
- Social events such as fall or spring picnics, the annual Literary-themed Halloween party, a Baccalaurate party for graduates and their families, frequent dinners and class meetings in faculty homes.
- The Associated Colleges of the Midwest sponsors an annual short story contest for students at participating colleges, including Luther. For the ACM "Nick Adams" Short Story Contest Guidelines, click here.