All Luther students must complete the Iowa testing requirements to be considered a program “completer” and therefore eligible for licensure in any state.
Luther TEP “Completer”
“Completers” of our TEP qualify for an Iowa teaching license and will find it easier to get a teaching license in another state. [States grant a “provisional license” to all new teachers. If the state licensure requirements include coursework not required by the Luther TEP, as a “completer” of our TEP and with a provisional license in that state, often you will have one to two years to complete those additional requirements.]
To be a “completer,” you must complete the testing requirements noted below.
Entrance Test Requirements
Luther College Teacher Education Program offers two options for the TEP entrance test. MTLE or PRAXIS Core. If you are uncertain where you plan to be a licensed teacher, choose the PRAXIS Core.
Students planning to teach in the State of Minnesota after completion of the Luther Teacher Education Program [TEP] should register for the MTLE Basic Skills test. Luther College will accept the passing scores that are equal to the State of MN passing scores.
Minnesota Teacher Licensure Examinations (MTLE) Basic Skills
All other students – Registration for the Praxis Core with ETS at http://www.ets.org/praxis. You may take this exam "when available" online at a testing center. http://www.ets.org/praxis/register?WT.ac=praxishome_register_121126 Note: The registration deadline is approximately one month BEFORE the testing date. You must take the test at a “testing center” on a computer. You may take the Computerized PRAXIS Core only once per calendar month, and no more than 6 times within a 12-month period.
|Praxis Core subject area||Passing score|
Students are responsible for downloading their score reports approximately one month after the testing date. Score reports are NOT MAILED out by ETS.
Application to TEP
A passing score report must be in your Luther Education Department student file in order to apply for the Teacher Education Program. You must submit a PDF or hard copy of the official score report to Renee Gunderson in the Education Office. The paperwork must show all three subtest scores.
FYI—Important: All students must be approved to the Teacher Education Program to register for any Education courses at the 300 or above level.
Paper-delivered Praxis tests will be offered at Luther through the 6/7/14 test date. We are hoping to offer electronically-delivered (computer) Praxis tests beginning this summer.
Test for Completion and Licensure
AllLuther TEP completers must take the Praxis II Content Area and Pedagogy tests.
Pedagogy Tests Required for All Licensure Areas
In general, test codes that begin with "5" are delivered in computer format (CDT); codes that begin with "0" are delivered on paper (PDT). Paper-delivered tests are being phased out.
Determine which pedagogy test you need to take. All of you need to take just one of these tests.
- All Elementary students must to take (PLT): K-6.
- All Secondary students must to take (PLT): 7-12.
- K-12 (music, art, HPE) may take any ONE of the three PLT tests, but we recommend (PLT): 7-12.
2/27/14—information from ETS site—information for Iowa
|Pedagogy Test||CDT Code/PDT Code||Qualifying Score|
|Principles of Learning & Teaching (PLT) : K-6||5622/0622||165|
|Principles of Learning & Teaching (PLT) : 5-9||5623/0623||163|
|Principles of Learning & Teaching (PLT) : 7-12||5624/0624||162|
You must take this test and report the results to the Luther Education Department no later than June 15 immediately following your student teaching. We recommend you take the test early enough in your student teaching year to secure a passing score report by the time you interview for teaching positions.
Determine which content knowledge test you need to take. All of you need to take a content knowledge test.
- Scroll down to find your endorsement area (e.g. “120-5-12 English/Language Arts”; “138-5-12 Health”).
- Note: the left column is the state number and name of each endorsement; the middle column is the name and NUMBER of the required test associated with the endorsement; and the right column is the minimum score needed to be achieved.
- Write down the name and NUMBER of the test you must take. You will need this when you go to the ETS site to register. Be sure to take the test listed on our website. There are different versions of some content knowledge tests; to be a completer of our program, you must take the test with the number on the chart below.
Be alert to the following information:
If you will be licensed to teach in more than one area, you must take a content knowledge test for each area.
- HPE students must take the “health” and the “PE” test. These are two separate tests.
- Elementary take just one content knowledge test, 102-Teacher Elementary Classroom, UNLESS you are double majoring and getting licensed in that second major or unless you fall in the category noted below.
- Elementary students getting special endorsements or academic endorsements do NOT have to take a content knowledge test for these endorsements EXCEPT if you are getting the “middle level learner” endorsement or the English Language Learner endorsement. “Middle Level Learner” folks—please contact me for more detail before you proceed.
Content Tests Required for Specific Licensure Areas
|Iowa Endorsement Numbers/Areas||Praxis Content Knowledge Tests||Minimum Score|
|102 - Teacher Elem Classroom K-6||Elementary Ed: Content Knowledge (5014/0014)||151|
|104 - K-12 English as a Second Language||English to Speakers of Other Languages (0361)||140*|
|114 - Art 5-12 (for all entry-level K-12 art teachers)||Art: Content and Analysis (0135)||154|
|120 - English/Language Arts 5-12||English Language Arts: Content and Analysis (5039-0039)||167|
|124 - French-5-12||French: World Language 5174||153|
|126 - German-5-12||German: World Language 5183||155|
|134 - Spanish-5-12||Spanish: World Language 5195||153|
|138 - Health-5-12 (for all K-12 health teachers)||Health Education (5551)||156|
|143 - Mathematics-5-12||5161: Mathematics: Content Knowledge||134|
|1821 – Middle School English Language Arts||Middle School: English Language Arts (0049/5049)||168|
|1822 – Middle School Mathematics||Middle School Mathematics (5169)||165|
|1823 – Middle School Science||Middle School Science (0439)||146|
|1824 – Middle School Social Studies||Middle School: Social Studies (0089/5089)||143*|
|145 - Music-5-12
(K-12 music in general, instrumental, and vocal music education)
|Music: Content and Instruction (0114)||162|
|147 - Physical Education-5-12
(for all K-12 PE teachers)
|Physical Education: Content and Design 0095/5095||159|
|151 - Biology-5-12||Biology: Content Knowledge 0235/5235||149|
|152 - Chemistry-5-12||Chemistry: Content Knowledge 0245/5245||141|
|156 - Physics-5-12||Physics: Content Knowledge 0265/5265||127|
|157 - American Government-5-12||Government/Political Science 0931||149|
|158 - American History-5-12||World and U.S. History: Content Knowledge 0941/5941||147|
|159 - Anthropology-5-12||Social Sciences: Content Knowledge 0951||147|
|160 - Economics-5-12||Economics 0911||150|
|163 - Psychology-5-12||0391/5391: Psychology||154|
|165 - Sociology-5-12||Sociology 0950||650|
|166 - World History-5-12||World and U.S. History: Content Knowledge 0941/5941||147|
|1171 - Business - All - 5-12||Business Education 0101/5101||165|
*These "passing scores" are found on the ets.org site, Praxis II "understanding the score."
To go to the PRAXIS (ets.org) site, use this link: http://www.ets.org/praxis
For information about each test, at the left find “Quick Links” and go to “Prepare for the Tests.”
- At “Preparation Materials” at the center of the page, use the pull down menu to find the test you want.
- Verify the test by checking the list above (name and number).
- At the site for your test, find “Study Companion (PDF).”
- Scroll through this document. Usually on p.11, the information specific to this test is found.
There are other links at “Preparation Materials.” Try them.
To “Register”, go to “Register for a Test” at the top of the page. Then find, at the center of the page, “Register online for a PRAXIS test!”
- Follow that link. “Sign In” or “Create Account.”
Do not leave this site until you have checked out the other links that might provide information you need, e.g. “Order score reports.”
Remember: A copy of your official score report is due to our Education office at Luther no later than June 15 of the school year you student taught. Be sure we receive your subtest results as well as the composite score [send us all pages of the testing report].
If you intend to apply for a teaching license in a state other than Iowa, complete the Praxis II testing note above so that you can be documented as “completer” of the Luther TEP. THEN, find out the testing requirements for the state to which you want to apply for a license, too. [Be alert to the additional requirements that state has. See the website for that state’s teacher licensure requirements.]
If you have questions, see Jennifer Olufsen or Jeannette Pillsbury.