Requirements for Professional Educator License (PEL) and Teaching Endorsements for those Trained Out of State or Country

All teaching endorsements require the following:

  • A bachelor’s degree or higher from a regionally accredited institution of higher education
  • Completion of an approved program
  • 32 semester hours or a major in the content-area
  • Student teaching or equivalent experience
  • 1 course (equivalent to 3 semester hours) in cross-categorical methods of the exceptional child
  • 6 semester hours of coursework in methods of reading and reading in the content area
  • 1 course (equivalent to at least 3 semester hours) in instructional strategies for English language learners


Administrative Rule

Early Childhood (25.25) Self-contained general education from birth to grade 3 TAP (400)*, Early Childhood (107) and APT (101)
Elementary Middle Grades (25.25) Self-contained general education in kindergarten-grade 9 TAP (400)*, Elementary Middle Grades (110) and APT (102) or (104)
Secondary (25.25) Subject-specific courses in grades 6-12 TAP (400)*, Specific Content-Area Test, and APT (103) or (104)
Special K-12 (25.25) Area of specialization in K-grade 12 TAP (400)*, Specific Content-Area Test, and APT (104)
Special Pre K-Age 21 Special Education (25.25, 25.43, 25.46) Areas of Learning Behavior Specialist I (LBS I), Blind or Visually Impaired, Deaf and Hard of Hearing, or Speech Language Pathologist (Teaching) TAP (400)*, LBS I (155) OR Teacher of Students who are blind or Visually Impaired (150) OR Speech Language Pathologist; Teaching (153) AND Special Education General Curriculum Test (163), and APT (104)

*An ACT Plus Writing composite score of 22 or a SAT composite score of 1030 (critical reading and mathematics) may be used in lieu of the TAP. Such scores can be no older than 10 years at the time of application.

This information is accurate at the date posted below. Applicants will be held to the most current statutory and administrative rule requirements.

ISBE Educator Licensure November 2013

Additional Requirements

More more information, look at this PDF of Illinois licensure information.