SEVIS is the database operated under the SEVP (Student and Exchange Visitor Program), designed to allow the collection of information regarding foreign students and exchange visitors in the United States. All F-1 student I-20's and J-1 scholar DS-2019's are issued through the SEVIS database.
The school and the student both have responsibilities for reporting information in a timely fashion (see time restrictions below) to the DHS, either through SEVIS or individually. The following section(s) describe the respective responsibilities with regard to reporting information and maintaining student status. Being out of status has serious implications, including the possibility of not being able to finish your program. Please refer to the Luther Diversity Center Student Services on how To Maintain Student Status.
SEVIS Reporting/Updating Requirements
The following information must be reported to the DSO so that it can be entered into your SEVIS record.
- U.S. Mailing Address Change: Notify the DSO (Designated School Official) in the Diversity Center (Amy Webber - email@example.com) of any change of address within 10 days of the change. Pick up the AR-11 form at the Diversity Center office or download the form AR-11.Permanent Home Address/Foreign Address Change: notify the DSO when this occurs.
- Temporary Foreign Address Change: notify the DSO
- Changes to your Program of Study (majors/minors): notify the DSO when you submit a major/minor declaration to the Office of the Registrar.
- Transfer to another U.S. institution: notify us before your program end date.
- You must let us know the school name and the "release" date (when you will be finished at Luther--usually the end of a term).
- If you plan to transfer to another undergraduate institution or to graduate school, you should make an appointment with the DSO--Amy Webber (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Change of visa status: notify the DSO if you change from F-1 status to another visa category.
- Change in program end date: notify the DSO in advance, prior to program end date. There are limited criteria for extending one's program--this must be discussed with the DSO.
- Reduced course load (less than full time, or less than 12 credits): meet with the DSO if you plan to withdraw or take a reduced load for any reason prior to doing so. The DSO can only approve a reduced course load for specific reasons. Please speak to the DSO before registering for less than full time.
- The DSO must note the approval in SEVIS, and the student must also note the Resumption of Full Course of Study in the subsequent semester.
- Approval for Curricular Practical Training (CPT) or Optional Practical Training (OPT), must be submitted by the DSO and entered into the SEVIS database.
- Application for OFF Campus Work due to Economic Hardship must be submitted by the DSO and entered into the SEVIS database. The DSO will advise as to eligibility.
- OPT completion date: Notify the DSO when you complete your Optical Practical Training employment.