Decorah, population 8,000, is a warm and vibrant town that offers plentiful recreation, a charming downtown, natural beauty, and a close-knit community—all while providing the conveniences of a city many times its size.
Decorah is a popular destination in northeast Iowa for many reasons, including:
- outdoor recreation
- numerous cultural events and festivals
- a pedestrian-friendly town center full of niche eateries and shops
- biweekly farmers markets and a food co-op in addition to traditional grocery stores
- proximity to the Upper Iowa River, which flows through Luther’s campus and borders Decorah’s business district
- the Trout Run Trail, an 11-mile biking, walking, and running trail that loops the town
- assorted area attractions, including parks, museums, arts organizations, live music, a movie theatre, and a bowling alley
Public transportation serving the area includes commercial airports in Rochester (Minn.), Waterloo (Iowa), and La Crosse (Wis.); a municipal airport in Decorah; and train and bus depots in La Crosse (Wis.).