Listening creates a holy silence. When you listen generously to people, they can hear the truth in themselves, often for the first time.
---Rachel Remen, Kitchen Table Wisdom
The Counseling Service provides:
- confidential individual and group counseling related to personal issues
- crisis intervention
- referral to off campus providers for more intensive, longer term, or more specialized treatment
- consultation with faculty, staff, parents or friends who are concerned about a student
- education and training with residence hall staff and other campus groups
- outreach and prevention activities related to student mental health
Services are available at no additional charge to any currently enrolled student. Students must make their own appointments in person at the office. Any personal concern is appropriate to bring to Counseling.
Can counseling really help?
Yes, very often it can! A sizeable body of research spanning decades suggests that the average person who participates in psychotherapy is better off than 80% of those who do not.1
And our clients at the Luther Counseling Service say it helps. In 2011-2012, 131 of our clients completed a survey after their third counseling session. 96% of them agreed or strongly agreed that as a result of their counseling so far, they were building their ability to cope with their problems, issues, or challenges more effectively.
Here are some survey comments from our clients about what was most helpful for them:
- The entire process has been very easy. I felt uncomfortable coming here at first but everyone was so welcoming and helpful, that it was much easier.
- Being able to come here and not be judged, being able to figure out how to deal with things that are bothering me in a healthy way with someone that is always willing to listen and give great ideas and feedback.
- Having a supported, relaxing environment to discuss my anxieties and questions regarding my future, and other worries. The counselors here really know how to listen and help you, and make you feel stronger and more confident when you are afraid.
- I finally have figured out why I have been feeling this way for so long. I've never felt as good as I've been feeling lately.
- It is great to be able to use a toolkit throughout the week, and then come back with results regarding the effectiveness of the methods.
- Excellent service. Wonderful counselor. Very warm and compassionate environment.
- Thank you so much for providing these services here on campus. College can be a stressful time, full of questions for the future and worries, and having a support system here makes getting through tough times so much easier.
- I really appreciate this service, and am incredibly thankful that it is offered to students on campus. It's very helpful, and very effective.
1Duncan, B., Miller, S., Wampold, B. & Hubble, M. (2010). The heart & soul of change: Delivering what works in therapy (2nd edition). Washington, D.C.: American Psychological Association.