Dear Class of 1972,
The dictionary gives us the following definitions for “REJUVENATE”:
to make young again,
to restore to youthful vigor,
to make fresh or new again.
We know that “rejuvenation” might not be the first word that comes to mind when thinking about a college reunion. Attending your 40-year college reunion at the age of 61 or 62 may seem more stressful than restful.
But imagine this:
1) Walking the Luther College campus on a beautiful autumn afternoon, complete with a bright blue sky, fresh air, and glowing amber leaves. The pleasure of seeing how it has grown and improved in the past 40 years. (A new aquatics center? Fantastic!)
2) Sitting in the Union all afternoon drinking fair trade coffee and conversing at length with that dear friend you lost track of over the years. Or, better yet, hitting the Decorah links and beating him at golf!
3) Observing the impressive Luther students of today playing sports, making theater and music, and just maybe having them smile back at you and say hello, even though you’re an old geezer and they probably think you are at least a hundred years old.
4) Making the pilgrimage to your department reception and finding out that your old professors still remember you and have forgiven you for your youthful indiscretions. (And yes, some of our old professors are still at Luther; we have merely forgotten how young they were when we had them.)
5) Sharing a laid-back, casual evening meal together -- where no one cares how big your retirement fund is or how deep your wrinkles are, and where the passage of time fades and everyone remembers what the world was like in 1972.
Our Class of 1972 reunion will be held Saturday, October 6 at the South Winneshiek Golf and Country Club in Calmar. The reception (cash bar) will begin at 5:30 p.m. followed by dinner at 6:30 p.m. Cost is $20.00 per person and reservations, along with payment, should be made in advance either online at www.luther.edu/homecoming or by mail with the enclosed reservation form. For a complete schedule of events and housing information, please go to www.luther.edu/homecoming.
We also encourage you to attend the Alumni Dinner at 6:00 p.m. on Friday, October 5 in the Dining Hall of the Dahl Centennial Union. Cost is $20.00 per person and reservations should be made in advance. Following dinner, our classmate, Kevin Sand, will be presented a Distinguished Service Award at 7:30 p.m. in the Main Hall of the Center for Faith and Life. Congratulations to Kevin!
Our wonderful and unique class cannot turn back the clock, but for a moment we can rekindle old friendships and memories and refresh our spirits by doing so. Please join us the weekend of October 5th and 6th for some priceless time together! It’ll be worth it – we promise!
Marilyn Fritz Shardlow