Radio Broadcasting Facilities
Luther College maintains a student-run radio station KWLC-AM; in addition, the college is part of the Minnesota Public Radio (MPR) network with stations KLNI-FM and KLCD-FM.
KWLC (1240 AM) operates at a power of 1,000 watts, broadcasting two and one-half hours each weeknight and all day Saturday and Sunday. In addition, KWLC's signal can be heard over the Internet at http://kwlc.luther.edu. KWLC is one of the oldest radio stations in Iowa, first broadcasting in December 1926. KWLC is student staffed.
KLCD-FM (89.3) became part of Luther's radio facilities in 1989 when Luther became an institutional sponsor of Minnesota Public Radio. KLCD was built to serve the greater Decorah area and broadcasts MPR's Classical music programming.
KLNI-FM (88.7) was added to the KWLC tower on campus in 1993. KLNI broadcasts MPR's 24 hour News service, including programming from National Public Radio (NPR), Public Radio International (PRI), British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) and Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC).
Translator K242BW operating on 96.3 FM in Decorah duplicates the KLNI programming and serves the Decorah areas where the KLNI signal is not clear.