Externship Program - Student Information
The Alumni Externship Program is designed to connect Luther students in their sophomore, junior or senior year with alumni working in career fields and professions of interest to them.
Students will be matched with an alumnus for 1 to 3 days of shadowing, observing, learning, touring, and information interviewing. The following information should help you learn more about how to apply and address other questions you have. As always, if you have questions, please call the Career Center at 563-387-1025.
Who is eligible?
- Currently enrolled Luther College sophomore, junior and senior students are eligible.
Dates and deadlines
- Information Meeting: Tuesday, September 10, 2013
- Location: TBD Time: TBD
- The Alumni Externship Program typically takes place during Fall Break (October 21 - October 23, 2013)
- Application Deadline: Wednesday, September 18, 2013
How to apply
- In May 2013, stop into the Career Center and complete an Externship Occupation Interest Form.
- Once announced, students will need to attend the Informational Meeting on: Tuesday, September 10, 2013. Will receive additional, pertinent information, and pick up an Externship Application Form. Return completed application form to the Career Center along with a resume and a short essay. For a printable PDF-application form: Click Here
- Student will be notified of potential match with an alum host for the Externship experience.
- Establish and maintain contact with host once placement has been determined
- Collaboratively develop goals for the experience with alumni hosts
- Conduct oneself in a professional manner for the duration of the experience
- Participate in pre- and post-externship group activities
- Pay for travel expenses to and from the externship site
- Be prepared to pay for meals, lodging, and other expenses during the experience