Luther biology students participate in summer research experiences for undergraduate (REU) programs around the country and even around the world. Below is a listing of some off-campus summer student research.
- Alex Greiner - Dr. Peter Rubenstein, The University of Iowa Biochemistry Department - University of Iowa Biochemistry Summer Undergraduate Fellowship - BSURF).
- Katherine Winkle - Mossel Bay Marine Lab, South Africa - The Great White Shark Project.
- Kolin Walker - Seminis Vegetable Seeds, DeForest, WI - Cross-pollination and plant disease resistance in sweet corn.
- Lisbet Finseth - Professor Scheel, University of Alaska-Anchorage - Study of octopus animal behavior and self recognition.
- Marissa Satern - Interdisciplinary Summer Undergraduate Research Program, University of Iowa - Genetics research.
- Ashley Brown - Dr. Peter Berendzen, University of Northern Iowa.
- Hunter Woodley - REU Program - Dr. Timothy Yahr, University of Iowa, Department of Microbiology - Role of the type III secretion system in the pathogenesis of Pseudomonas aeruginosa.
- Nicole Hayden - Dr. Traci Bush, Des Moines, University - study the improvements that osteopathic therapy exhibits for shoulder mobility and strength.
- Blake Funke - Dr. Antoinette Peters, Pediatric Hematology and Oncology, Gundersen Lutheran Hospital, La Crosse, WI. - Summer Fellows program.
- James Flanary - Duke University REU program - Project designed to assess the effect of individual differences in fitness on brain plasticity and cognitive function.
- Nicholas Andresen - Dr. Any Franks, Genetics Interdisciplinary Research Program, University of Iowa.
- Charles Bruer - Dr. James Sidman, Children's Hospital, Minneapolis, MN - Long term effects of neonatal aspiration.
- James Marty - Dr. Randy Calcote, (REU), Using plant macrofossils from lake sediment cores to reconstruct local drought history at Cheney Lake, WI - University of Minnesota Geology Department.
- Nolan Winslow - Blood stem cell research,University of Minnesota, Heart, Lung and Blood Department.
- Lisa Richter - Dr. Kara Bren, Bioinorganic chemistry, Univresity of Rochester, Rochester, NY.
- Samantha Stykel - Denny Hanson, SURF program, Biomedical imaging, Mayo Health Systems, Rochester, MN.
- Laura Swanson - Dr. Ni, Light signal transduction in plants and regulation of seed development in Arabidopsis, Department of Plant Biology, University of Minnesota's Molecular Genetics and Proteomics.
- Jacob Seibert - Dr. Jason Ross, Characterizing the functions of non-coding RNA in reproductive issues in the pig, Iowa State University REU program in Molecular Biotechnology and Genomics, Ames, IA.
- Kelsey Kittleson - SPEP (Summer Pre-medical Enrichment Program), Cincinnati, OH.
- Alexander Tomesch - Sarah Klemuk, Regenerative tissues specifically those of the vocal chords, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA.
- Jessica Lister - Dr. Alex Horswill, Different virulence factors associated with Staphylococcus aureus, REU in microbiology, The University of Iowa.
- Jason Block - Dr. Jana Anderson - Appendicitis in children - Mayo Health System, Rochester, MN
- Ellyn Phearman - Jennifer Keller - Pediatrics hematology/oncology research - Gundersen Lutheran Medical Foundation, La Crosse, WI
- Samantha Stykel - Carlos Castillez-Chavez - Mathematical and Theoretical Biology Institute - Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ
- Jacob Jipp - Dr. Sumana Datta - Changes in heparin sulfate proteoglycan gene expression during prostate cancer progression - National Science Foundation REU (Research Education for Undergraduates)
- JP McGinnis - Linheng Li - Purification and verification of R-Sponsin 1 - Stowers Institute for Medical Research, Kansas City, MO
- Dustin Meriwether - Min NI - Molecular/chromosomal mapping of a mutant gene in Arabidopsis involved in growth in response to red and blue light - University of Minnesota, Department of Plant Biology, St. Paul, MN
- Erik Mortens - Dr. Huirong Gao - Gene modification in Zea Mays (Corn) - Pioneer Hybrid International, Inc. - Johnston, IA
- Eric Sievers - Ring-necked duck post-fledging ecology - Minnesota Department of Natural Resources: Wetlands Wildlife Populations and Research Group, Bemidji, MN
- Aimee Villard - Quantitative analysis of calcium-regulated genes in Vibrio parahaemolyticus, University of Iowa Summer Project FUTURE in Biomedicine Program
- Maria Carr - Pollination of orchid populations - Dr. Jim Ackerman, University of Puerto Rico, El Verde Field Station
- Derrik Hartman - HIV/Hepatitis, David Majewski, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN
- Tracy Heetland - Comparative Medicine, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN
- Crystal Hopp - Regulation of Pseudomonas aeruginosa type III secretion, Dr. Timothy Yahr, Department of Microbiology, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA
- Julia Kieckhaefer - Biochemistry, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, Lincoln, NE
- Karl Larson - Research with Dr. Ron Lynch, University of Arizona
- Amanda McCarthy - The differences between decomposition rates of native and invasive vegetation in released dam area, Integrated Biological Sciences Summer Research Program (IBS-SRP), Center for Biology Education, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI
- Amy Saupe - Ecology, pollution, and nutrient cycling, Dr. Mandy Joye, University of Georgia at Athens, Athens, GA
- Alysha Soper - Field and wildlife biology, Blandy Experimental Farm, University of Virginia, Boyce, VA
- Daniel Stone - The study of invasive plants affect on native plants, Dr. Eric Baack, Luther College, Decorah, IA
- Dan Summerfield - Respiratory syncytial virus in immune models - Dr. Steven Vorga, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA
- Sara Velden - Research in the Automated Immunologyassay Lab, Melissa Ward, Mayo Clinic Summer Lab Science Program, Rochester, MN
- Claire Addis - Reconstruction of the evolutionary history of the tropical tree, Swarcia, by means of DNA extraction and sequencing - Dr. Benjamin torke, Academy of Natural Sciences, Philadelphia, PA
- Britta Anderson - Synthesis of stabilized porous phospholipid nanoshells - Dr. Craig Aspinwall, Department of Chemistry, University of Arizona, Tuscon, AZ
- Julia Blackmore - Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX
- Laura Caldwell - Biodiversity and global warming project, Cedar Creek Natural History Area, Bethal, MN
- Annie Herrig - A study in virology - Dr. Al Klingelhutz, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA
- Jessica Hulberg - Controlling disease vectors and monitoring for the possible invasion of Aedes albopictus - David Geske, La Crosse County Health Department, La Crosse, WI
- Melissa Hunter - Stroke study - Gundersen Lutheran Medical Center, La Crosse, WI
- Jennifer Lambrecht - Type III secretion systems in Pseudomonas aeruginosa - Timothy Yahr, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA
- Megan Patch - Forward development of AIMIE (Ab Initio Motif Identification Environment). This program is designed to find various types of repeats in non-eukaryotic genomes - Jan Mrazek, University of Georgia, Athens, GA
- Dan Summerfield - Chemistry research - Dr. Gary Snyder, University of Massachusetts-Amherst, Amherst, MA
- Athena Sutton - Plant pathology research - PWSE Internship Program, Dr. Allison Robertson, Iowa State University, Ames IA
- Britta Anderson - Switching DNA-binding domains in human replication protein A - Department of Biochemistry, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA
- Becky Ballandby - Research with Dr. Leah Dietrich, Gundersen-Lutheran Medical Center, La Cross, WI
- Chris Etscheidt - Cancer research, immunology and immunotherapy - Dr. Emil Racila, Holden Comprehensive Cancer Center
- Jessica Hulberg - Disease vector control, mosquito species carrying West Nile and La Crosse encephalitis, Dave Geske, La Crosse County Health Department, La Crosse, WI
- Jennifer Jirak - LTER projects - Troy Mielke, University of Minnesota, Cedar Creek Natural History Area, Bethel MN
- Amy Kristapovich - Landscape research, Joe Krieg, Luther College, Decorah, IA
- Brian Meyer - Acquisition of depth perception and related functions - Dr. Joseph Campus, Infant Studies Center, University of California-Berkeley, Berkeley, CA
- Ryan Snell - Chemistry and Math REU - Professor Xueyu Song, Iowa State University, Ames, IA
- Jonathan Thompson - Research with Dr. John Logsdon, Department of Biological Sciences, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA
- Adam Bohach - Exercise physiology related to endurance athletes - Professor Brian Solberg, Luther College, Decorah, IA
- Suzanne Crumley - Biochemical/genetic studies of preunocytic pheumonia, SURF Program, Dr. Andrew Limper, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN
- Jill Dinkla - Center for Emerging Infectious Diseases, Epidemiology Department, Dr. Gregory Gray, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA
- Leah Doerr - BioCON ecological research - Jared Trost, University of Minnesota, Cedar Creek Nature Preserve, Bethel, MN
- Katie Hopp - Selenge River aquatic insect survey project in Mongolia, Jon Gelhaus, The Academy of Natural Sciences, Philadelphia, PA
- Jennifer Jirak - Plant ecology research - Troy Mielke, Cedar Creek Natural History Area, University of Minnesota, Bethel, MN
- Karen Kaluza - Cell-mediated immunity - Paul Leibson, Mayo Graduate School, Rochester, MN
- Kee, Yee Seir - Biomolecular self-assemblies/properties and functions of bio-material, Professor Kalina Hristova, Johns Hopkins University, School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD
- Elizabeth Matzen - Research with Dr. Michael Henry, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA
- Paul Meirick - Summer Institute Training in Biostatistics with Dr. Dori Kalish, University of Wisconsin-Madison, Madison, WI
- Brian Meyer - Locomotor experience affects on psychological transition via visual-proprioceptual pathways, Dr. Joseph Campos, University of California-Berkeley, Berkeley, CA
- Christine Paulu - Long term ecological research projects, Troy Mielke, Cedar Creek Natural History Area, University of Minnesota, Bethel, MN
- Heidi Schwanz - Nephrology Department and Hyperoxularia, Dr. Carla Moniso, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN
- Meredith Smith - Genetic engineering, Dr. Hatem El-Sharoti, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA
- Katie Striegel - Physiological properties of the eye and the pathophysiological mechanisms underlying complex eye disease, primarily using mouse genetics to study glaucoma, Dr. Michael Anderson, Physiology and Biophysics Dept., University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA