The Martin Luther statue was erected in 1911 as part of the celebration of the 50th anniversary of the founding of Luther College, and was dedicated on October 14, 1911. Placement of the sculpture was recommended by well-known landscape architect Jens Jensen of Chicago, who had designed a plan for the Luther campus. Although others wanted to locate the sculpture in front of Main, Jensen preferred its present location where it would be viewed against a background of bushes and trees. It is a replica of the Ernst Rietschel sculpture in Worms, Germany, but is a third-generation sculpture. That is, the original sculpture, by Rietschel, provided the molds for the Luther sculpture located at Concordia Seminary in St. Louis, Missouri. The sculpture on the Luther College campus was made from molds of the sculpture at Concordia Seminary.
Luther College Archives pages maintained by Rachel Vagts
This page was last updated on 9 October 2013