Until 1955, almost all the male students of Luther College lived in private homes off-campus and often ate off-campus as well. It became necessary with the burgeoning size of the student population to build a dormitory for the male students as a complement to the all female dormitory of Brandt Hall. Due to the heavy need, male residents actually lived in the building at the beginning of the semester before its completion.The cornerstone was laid on May 17, 1955 for a male dormitory to house 233 students and work began on a dormitory with built-in dressers, beds, and desks. Olson Hall was dedicated on Oct. 16, 1955 in honor of Luther College's third President Oscar Olson, who was present at the ceremony. It is situated just south of Koren Hall and Larsen Hall and faces the center of campus and the statue of Martin Luther.
This photo shows the Olsons in front of the hall.