Christmas break!

This Christmas break was rather exciting, and much more adventurous than normal. As a swimmer I get very little time at home when it comes to any sort of break because the team is usually on campus continuing training, just like any other sports team that is in season. Because of the season swimming happens to disrupt every break except Spring Break and Easter Break, which are combined this year, so basically all by one break. Anyway, it was all worth it this Christmas Break because the team went to San Juan, Puerto Rico for the first 9 days of break!!! We did not just go to lie out and be lazy, we went and we worked our butts off… while laying out and being lazy when we had the chance. Every 2 years the team goes to a warmer destination and takes what is called a training trip. It is exactly what it sounds like, a trip where we train. In San Juan we had our normal training schedule, about 4 hours of practice a day. Because we were out of the country, kind of (Puerto Rico is a US territory), the pools there were 50 meters, instead of 25 yards like most US pools. This added a little bit of a challenge. Not only were we doing some of the hardest practices of the season but we were also doing them in a different style of pool. Swimming long course (50 meter pool) is much different than swimming short course (25 yard pool) and it definitely takes some time to get used to it. Long story short, practices were super hard! But, like always, the team crushed each one and had a blast doing it. On one of the days our practice consisted of an ocean swim; we swam out into the ocean, around a few buoys, back to shore, run to the starting point and repeat. About 30 seconds after I entered the water and was swimming out to the first buoy I felt something hit my face and then my leg, not only did it hit my face and leg but it also stung it. This was a feeling I had never felt before, I had no idea what it was. After I completed the practice I said something to the lifeguard on duty and he told me I was stung by a jelly fish. He then told me I was lucky that I was not allergic to them because if that had been the case then I would probably have went into shock and bad stuff would have gone down. Needless to say that was oddly comforting to know that I was going to live. Despite the run-in with the jelly fish the trip was amazing and I am so glad I got to go with such a sweet group of people!

{ Return to Student Blogs for more posts. }

{ Return to More posts from Sam's Blog (Student Blogs) for more posts. }

Add a comment

The following fields are not to be filled out. Skip to Submit Button.
Not Comment
(This is here to trap robots. Don't put any text here.)
(This is here to trap robots. Don't put any text here.)
(This is here to trap robots. Don't put any text here.)
Student Blogs